Strawberries sure are sweet, but what if we told you that they could be even sweeter? That’s right – your favorite juicy strawberries can become an even tastier snack or dessert by dipping them in milk or white chocolate.
Now, you’ve probably seen some chocolate covered strawberry arrangements before, and if you ask us, when they’re made professionally, they look pretty perfect! That said, what would you say if we told you that you could make the same strawberries dipped to perfection at home? You can, so long as you follow the steps below.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ingredients
The first step is to gather all of your ingredients – for chocolate covered strawberries you’ll need:
- Medium-large strawberries
- Milk chocolate chips and/or white chocolate chips
- Shortening or vegetable oil
We know what you’re thinking – how much of each ingredient do you need? This will differ depending on the amount of people you are looking to serve, but let’s use this as a guide:
- 2 cups of medium-large strawberries – say approximately 18-20 strawberries total.
- ½ cup of milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable or shortening oil
Aside from your main ingredients, you’ll also need a few other supplies to help you through the process – they are:
- A cookie sheet
- Wax paper
- A saucepan
- Paper towels
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Directions
Once you have your ingredients and baking supplies ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to create deliciously dipped chocolate covered strawberries:
- Rinse strawberries well and then lay them on paper towels to dry. Tip: the strawberries must be totally and completely dry before you can begin dipping. As you wait for them to dry, take your cookie sheet and line it with wax paper.
- In your saucepan (a 1-quart saucepan should do it based on the measurements listed above), melt your chocolate chips and shortening over low heat. Tip: If you plan to use milk AND white chocolate chips, melt them separately.
- Stir the chocolate chips frequently until you have a nice, smooth mixture – at this point, remove the chocolate from the heat.
- Holding your strawberries by the stem, dip them into your chocolate mixture (about halfway or so). After dipping, hold the strawberries over the mixture for a few more seconds to allow the excess to drip.
- Place your dipped strawberries onto your cookie sheet.
- Once all strawberries have been dipped in chocolate, place the cookie sheet (uncovered) into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you have any strawberries that are leftover or that won’t be served right away, cover them and store them in the refrigerator after the chocolate has hardened to keep it that way. Additionally, you can also get creative by drizzling some white chocolate or milk chocolate (essentially, the opposite of whatever you dipped your strawberries in) on top for an even sweeter taste!